Tuesday, May 3, 2011

New Apartment - a virtual tour {Part One}

I've been reading a lot (and I mean a lot) of design blogs lately ~ some of my faves are here, here, and here.  They have provided me with much inspiration and some really great, cheap ideas for our new little place, which I've been wanting to post photos of for a long time.  The downside of spending so much time looking at all of these gorgeous, magazine-caliber homes is that I feel a little less than boldly confident about letting you take a peek into my own home.  However, I decorate my home (and I hope you do yours) based on things I like, things I have, and things that are important to me - even if it doesn't always match the "rules" of design.

Also, for the sake of fighting against my own struggle-for-perfect-image, for the sake of honesty, and for the sake of (hopefully) living a life that breeds confidence and you're-good-enough-ness in others, I decided to post photos of our apartment both in it's messy state and in it's picked-up state.  No excuses, no apologies, and no explanations.  Enjoy!

Okay, first the messy ones.



Yikes.


 You get the point.

Now on to the descriptions:

Our bedroom and bathroom ~


 His and Hers closets!



May I draw your attention to a few things?




First, the chalkboard behind the bed - I wanted to paint the whole wall a chalkboard like Emily did.  But it turns out, you need pretty smooth walls in order to do that.  Maybe someday in a different home.



 I made that picture frame jewelry hanger thing inspired by something I saw in my friend Lindsay's room a few years ago.  Fun and practical!  (but not for those short little stud earrings - too hard to get your hand behind the thing without knocking half the earrings off)



I can't remember when I painted this, but it was before I got my puppy, Daisy, during my first year of college (note the chew marks in the upper right-hand corner).



This is the only art project I've ever gotten a 100% A+ on, and it wasn't even for an art class.  I did it for a Song of Solomon project in my Wisdom and Poetic lit class.  The beautiful Susanna Schultz helped me frame it on our first-ever friend date (Hi, Susanna!).

Living room...



 We were going to get a different couch, but decided instead to have grateful hearts and just liven it up a little with some fun cushions (I LOVE the whole unmatching pillow thing that Julie's got in the Julie & Julia movie - I consider these three pillows as step one of the process).





A few details...



I painted these to try and tie in the purple/red couch pillow and purple curtain thingy.  I don't love them, but they work.



Isn't this great!  It's my "creation corner" where I can write music and be an artist.  It, too has changed, since we bought a new keyboard for my birthday - it now sits against the wall under that painting.  Which, by the way, is called "Genesis".



I painted a tiny version of this for my Hymnology class, where I was helping write a hymnal (and create some writings and art to go in it too).  My professor said he loved it so much that I gave it to him and painted a larger one for myself.  Rod framed it for me as a moving-in gift.



Another gift from Rod and a little reminder not to be scared, because "Everything worth doing is worth doing poorly."



This is the top of the bookshelf - filled with important things.  The elephant was the first in a series of gifts Rod gave me when we started dating - gifts that he bought for me, his future wife, before he knew me.  After the elephant (which he gave to me on the day he asked if he could pursue me) came a glass ring (on my birthday), his first piece of cheesecake at The Cheesecake Factory, that little orange spice container (which held my ring when he proposed), and a string of pearls (which he gave to me on our wedding day).  The penguin and turtle symbolize a story he wrote about us (which I should really post here - turtle for trust, penguin for patience).  The crystal globe was a gift from Pat & Sue at ICA (because "we are helping the world, and we mean the world to them").  And the vase is just pretty.



I have decided to do this post in two installments, because this is insanely long and it's taking FOREVER.  And there's still so much to show you!  Watch for Part 2 on Thursday.

Also, if I may.  I've been thinking about setting up an Etsy shop online, so I can sell my artwork.  I'm just not sure that anyone will be interested in buying.  Your thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this! Congrats on a nice home and on a beautiful layout of your earthly possessions. You did a great job. I can't wait to come and sleep in that lounge and cook in the kitchen. Watch out, Flora's on her way before going back to Zimbabwe! Great job you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think you should open an etsy shop! I had no idea you were so artistic! I watch HGTV all the time, and I always am envious of all the diy projects that people do and wish I had that creativity. It adds such a personal touch to your home! Anyway, your apartment looks great! And we miss you!!! I hope things up there are going well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really enjoying this! And I definitely think you should set up an etsy shop. Start by selling reproductions of "Genesis". I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna, I just discovered this and I am so glad. It made me smile. You are so adorable. I feel like I have been to your place now. I am going to come with your parents to visit sometime. I think I'll just invite myself :) I sure do miss you and Rod. I am so happy for you. You are such a joy. I am blessed to have you in my life.

    ReplyDelete