Monday, September 20, 2010

Scenes from a happily married couple.

There were several reasons that we decided not to get a television once we got married.  The obvious benefit of having one less bill to pay.  The disgusting nature of so many shows, images, and messages that are invited into your home when you do have a television.  And the biggest reason was that we wanted to spend this first year of marriage getting to know each other...not vegging out in front of the tube.  It is this third reason that has caused us to fall into such intellectually stimulating conversations as the one below.

Scene: 9pm Sunday night.  We were eating dinner.

Usually, I am pretty strict when it comes to meal time.  Lunch by 1, dinner by 7:30 or 8 at the VERY latest.  But yesterday, we were going to be at church at 5:15pm, and I felt like that was an awkward time to eat.  I thought it would be kind of a late dinner, but it would be okay.  Well.  We didn't end up getting home until about 9.

I was sitting on the floor of our living room eating a bowl of spaghetti and talking about how much I hate the feeling of hunger.  My stomach feels like it's turning inside out, my hands get shaky, and I really just feel awful.

Rod, however, is the opposite.  He's one of those people who "forgets to eat."  How is that even possible?  I told him I thought he was crazy.

"How can you forget to eat?!  I don't think my body would allow me to forget."

"I don't know," he shrugs, "I just don't think about it."

"You mean, you don't start feeling like you're going to die?  Because that's kind of how I felt tonight."

"I've just never needed to eat a lot...maybe that's why I'm so good at fasting."

I agree.  He is good at fasting.  For instance, he can go several days, and only feel mildly upset in his stomach.  I'm not exaggerating.

He says, "That's probably not good.  Maybe I should fast from something I use more."

"Something you use more than food?" 

"Yeah."

"You could fast from bending your knees."

"Or maybe I could fast from moving my lips."

"Or breathing through your nose."


And so forth.   I love not having TV. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment